Wednesday, July 6, 2011
MY Literacy Influences- Nikevia Wells
My literacy influence would my second grade teacher as well as my Mother. I remember being in the second grade, I could not read, write or comprehend grammer. My teacher and my parents would always try and explain the work to me, but I just could never get it. I will say that year I had managed to get to the third grade, but my mother as well as my second grade teacher at that time had other plans for me. They held a teacher parent meeting with me, each of them saying "Nikevia you are not ready for the third grade so therefore your mother and I decided to hold you back instead of promoting you" I was very angry at the time as well as scared of what other people will think of me. I also felt embrassed because I was the oldest person in my class. I remember having to take extra reading and English classes, as well as stay after school in the afternoon just to do extra work. My teacher even went so far as to putting me into summer school so that when the school year came the work would not be foreign to me. In the end thought thanks to that situation I am not mad about it, because I love to read, and I even noticed that my writing and grammer skills had improved. I realized now that My teacher and Mother only wanted what was best for and did everything in there power to help me. So to both of them Thank You so much.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Its important that both your parents and teachers influenced the way you talk and right. I was influenced the same way and I came our an alright kid. Im trying to enhance my literacy and I hope you are trying too. I never went to summer school until now, so I really don't know how that feels. I feel you on when you say that your teacher and mother wanted the best for you. Trermaine Williams________tw607
ReplyDeleteNi Ni my mother influenced me also,everytime i would say some wrong she would correct me real fast and I would say mom i cant help it. She would say yes you can, so just like your mother pushed you my mom pushed me.<--- ALICIA BENNETT
ReplyDeleteI agree, yes thats all they wanted was the best for you. Holding you back a grade was not to hurt nor harm you but to help you understand how importnat it was to read, write as well as speaking correct grammar. I can aslo tell that you love to read and write now because of some of the stories I have seen you write.
ReplyDeleteI love your blog. My mother was a influence of mine as well as Ms. Woolbight and Miss Taylor. Just like you both my teachers wanted the best for me and I do not think I could ever re-pay them For that. I think it take a special kind of person to hold a student back because he or she feel That they are not doing the best at there work. In the long run what your teacher and mom did for you paid off because now we can not keep from a book or pen and paper.-Tiara jones
ReplyDelete