Tuesday, June 14, 2011

who influenced my writing? --Jordyn Riddle

I have had a lot of influences on my writing. The classes I took in high school such as, English and reading, which required a lot of writing. My reading class showed me how to actually read and comprehend. And between English and reading I learned how to draw out diagrams and two steps out lines to stay on topic, instead of going off topic. I also took a journal class in high school for a semester. I really enjoyed the journal class. It taught me a lot like how to stay on topic and how to write on the not so interesting topics. Also I think my parents influenced my writing is my parents, because both my parents are English teachers. So when I was in grade school, during the summer, they made sure I read and wrote summaries on what I read. I had to read at least four books in the summer, which also meant four or more summaries. I use to think doing reading and writing in the summer meant no fun. But I was all wrong, reading and writing summaries expands your vocabulary, and it also betters your writing skills. In the end it was for the best and I am glad my parents made me read and do summaries. Last but not least my sister influences me to write also, me and her always have writing competition. My mom chooses the topic and we have about seven paragraphs and whichever one of us has the least errors win. My parents’ check out the papers, and announces the winner. It is pretty fun if you get into it.
All in all though, I still have a long way to go when it comes to writing. It is a ongoing thing, but I appreciate all my influences, because they set good examples with my writing.

1 comment:

  1. I really can relate to taking a journalism class. I took a journalism class in high school also. I really enjoyed that class. It taught me how to stay on topic and how to brain storm good with out think so hard. But I passed that class with flying colors. : )
    Robin Davis

    ReplyDelete